Slips, falls and stumbles are among the top cause for injuries and even death in those 65 and over. Prevention is key, so that the elderly remain safe and healthy.
Causes of Falls:
- Poor eyesight
- Physical conditions
- Insufficient lighting
- Possible side effects of medication
- Wearing nonskid soled shoes
- Remove throw rugs that pose a hazard
- Be sure rooms have sufficient lights
- Use night lights during the nighttime
- Be sure electrical cords are not in direct pathway
- Install grab bars in bathroom (tub, shower, toilet)
- If you have stairways, be sure to install handrails
- Refrain from climbing on stools and stepladders
If you are a loved one have safety concerns, contact us here at the Kitsap Peninsula Home Instead Office and we can come out, free of charge to do a safety check around the home. Our office number is 360-782-4663.