Everyone has experienced loneliness at some point in their life, but seniors often have to deal with it more often. Holidays can be especially lonely, and the 4th of July is definitely one of the big holidays of the year. Many seniors may be alone for the holiday – their families might live a distance away, many of their friends might have passed away, and their ability to get around might interfere with having a healthy social life.
As you’re planning your 4th of July celebrations remember the older adult in your life – be it a relative, friend or neighbor. If you can’t be with them, a simple phone call or e-mail with photo can do wonders for someone’s overall health and well being! Or try one of these ideas below:
- Stop over with a potted plant and stick a mini-American flag in it!
- Share a cool treat, like red and blue sugar free jello! Don’t forget the whip!
- Visit elderly neighbors who may not have family nearby. Bring some sparklers!
- Send a patriotic flower bouquet to far away loved ones. Red, white, and blue carnations work well!
- How about a patriotic puzzle? Work on it together and share stories of the USA!
- Take your favorite senior out for a hot dog. A great American lunch!
- Send a simple “Happy 4th of July” card!
- Check your local tv guide for all American movies and other 4th of July listings. Then grab some treats and head over to watch with your favorite senior!
- Print out an independence poem, frame, and give as a gift!
- Apple pie is an all-American treat. Why not share a slice?
- Ask your loved one to share their favorite 4th of July memory with you!
Home Instead Senior Care is here for you – providing extraordinary home care and companionship for your loved one. Call us today to learn more at 360-782-4663.